You have to install first ruby, rubygems, git, bundle, rails
Here is a one of the many tutorials http://www.shanison.com/2011/02/20/how-to-install-rvm-on-mac/
here are other ways for installing ruby taken from Ruby on Rails for Designers
- Windows: One-Click Ruby Installer (I recommend using 1.8.6-26 Final Release)
- Mac OS X 10.4: Ships with broken Ruby but you can follow the amazing guide by Dan Benjamin
- Mac OS X 10.5: If you install the Developer Tools from Apple you will be set. Try either your installation discs or Apple’s Developer Site and download Xcode
- Linux: While this may vary for each distribution, you will need to install ruby, irb, & rdoc
Download, extract and run ruby setup.rb
more reading here http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3
Checkout the project
One SCM is git. install it
Then checkout it
git clone ssh://email@example.com/uppstart
Starting Rails project
go to the project folder you have checkout already.
rvm will ask you if you trust the version of ruby specified in the project. Please agree and install it if you don’t have it.
installing is done by
rvm install ruby-what-ever-version
then you have to install bundle. This is done by doing
gem install bundler
After you have install bundler you will have the bundle command available. Bundler will try to install all the project dependencies. do this by typing
if you don’t have errors you will be almost ready to run the application.
check in config/database.yml and prepare the database specified in the development section
If you see in development sqlite3 as an adapter then just type
start the application by running
check the app by navigating to http://localhost:3000
All views are located under app.
Files starting with underscore are partials which are reused in multiple places.
Assets could be in several places.
- app/assets – for assets which are from the application
- lib/assets – for assets which are exported
- vendor/assets – for 3rd party assets
If you want to add your own file include it under the
Deploying the application
Put your ssh keys on the server. This should be done once.
Then you have to put your changes on the remote repository. This is done by doing
First we need to get any remote changes by doing.
git pull git commit -a
Then we can add our new files and commit the changed files/folders.
add the new files with
git add filename_or_folder
then commit all with a message
git commit -a -m "nice message what was changed" git push
Finally From the application folder run